While wearing neon sleeveless shirts and striped leg warmers may look pretty fly when hitting the gym (the cast of Saved by the Bell called, they want their clothes back), if you’re preparing to hike 30 miles in one day, it might not be the look for you.
Lucky for the fashion-challenged among us, Dan and Roger (If you’re new around here, make sure you meet the participants.) were nice enough to give us a run down of the gear that is not only going to get them through Ultimate Hike training, but will also make you look cooler (hopefully) than sporting eighties garb at the gym.
For now, training consists of many long runs and cross training. Take a look at their must haves below. If you’d like to support Dan and Roger’s efforts or learn more about the race, please visit the Charter Fitness Cares Ultimate Hike webpage.
1. Flex-fit Cotton Twill Hat Fits great, stays on my head and is fairly inexpensive.
2. Under Armour Power Polarized Sunglasses Fit snuggly and have just enough tinting to work well in the sun, but not too dark in the shade.
3. Nike Tailwind V-Neck Natural cotton feel and smooth over longer periods of time.
4. Jansport Catalyst Backpack Stays in place with padded hip belt and sternum strap.
5. WrightSock Cool Mesh II Lightweight dual layers help prevent blistering on longer runs.
6. Asics GT-2170 Outstanding stability and cushioning, yet relatively lightweight.
7. Nike Dri-FIT Running Shorts Lightweight, cool and comfortable.
Other Essentials (not pictured): iPhone, MapMyRun app, Panasonic Ergo-fit Earbuds
1.Hydraform Handheld Water Bottle Zippered pouch provides storage and ergonomic design allows for perfect fit in your hand
2. Oakley Flak Jacket Sunglasses Polarized lens fight sun glare and are comfortable enough to stay positioned even during strenuous activity
3. The North Face Hot Shot Backpack Efficiently stores gear, waterproof, and has a mesh side pocket for water bottle
4. Lululemon Metal Vent Tech Short Sleeve Seam free, X-Static material is breathable
5. Under Armour Escape Running Short Lightweight, mesh panels allow for extra air flow and pockets to store essentials
6. Asics Gel Blur 33 Lightweight, allows for natural foot movement and offers great support and cushioning
7. CEP Compression Socks Proven to reduce injury, increase oxygen to lower extremities and remove lactic acid.
Other Essentials (not pictured): Nike Pro Compression Shorts, Brooks Cascadia 7 Trail Shoes, iPod Shuffle
A special thank you to: